Beezeknees.

As many of you know, I am accident prone and an aggressive athlete - these two things do not go well together - for me or anyone on the opposing team.

Lets go back to the beginning. One summer while I was working at MBC I noticed that I had a random bump on the side of my knee that had never been there before, when I was finished at camp I went and saw my doctor and she referred me to an Orthopedic Surgeon - Dr. O. He confirmed that I had torn my meniscus (cartridge) and all this random fluid was forming a cyst on the side of my knee, he suggested I have a scope done just to repair my meniscus and get rid of the cyst. I had that surgery during my march break of gr. 12. The surgery went well, the first night home sucked, but I survived.

After the surgery Dr. O suggested that I don't play soccer anymore, I told him that, that probably wasn't going to happen and he recommended that I get a brace and as long as I wear it I should be ok. So life goes on. My knee would get sore on occasion but nothing major.

Last year around May I was house sitting for a family during indoor season, we had a game and I had forgotten my brace at my apartment, and didn't have time before the game to pick it up. My mentality was; "one game without my brace won't matter." Ya - it mattered. About five minutes into the game I was going to kick a ball full force, and as I kicked it another girl on the opposite team stopped it, so all the force from my foot went into my knee which caused my already displaced knee cap (earlier soccer injury) to slip, I could see it on the left side of my leg, where your knee cap usually isn't. It was the worst pain I have ever felt.

After a few days, it started to feel better and I just ignored that anything had happened, but then as I was gettting out of my car my knee cap popped out of place and I was in instant horrible pain - I cried - thats how painful it was. I didn't at this point know how to pop my knee back in so I would be in this pain for hours, I went to the emergency room a couple times and by the time the doctor ever saw me my knee cap had popped back in and I was fine again - so they had a hard time placing what was wrong (yea free health care!) I called and called and called my surgeon to set up a date to see me - they finally got me an appointment (probably just to shut me up) and he told me that my MCL had been torn and that I would need another surgery to repair it. At this point in time I had a notion that I would be leaving the country, and he said it would probably be ok for me to travel and we booked my surgery pretty far in the future.

Now lets come back to present day: My surgery was booked for September 24, they told me that it would just be an in and out knee cap reconstruction surgery - which is where they would just set my knee cap in the right place again. On Friday my surgeon called me and asked me what surgery I was having - apparently they had two procedures written in my file but had only booked me for one - at this point I am nervous - I didn't think it was standard procedure to ask the patient what needed to be done in the operating room. So today (well over a year since my last visit) I met with my surgeon and well it turns out I need two surgeries - one to repair my damaged legaments and one to repair my displaced knee cap. My surgery is now on October 6 as they needed a bigger time block than orignally thought. They are now going to be taking a part of my thigh muscle and using that to replace my ACL - since it is so badly wrecked it isn't even showing up on tests.

Long story short: This is going to SUCK.

BUT

He told me I can play soccer again - it is going to take a year of recovery but as of October 2011 I should be good to go - depending on how much he can fix in the first surgery I won't need a second one (fingers crossed).

More good news: Since I will be staying in the hospital overnight I will be recieving FREE physio during my recovery on my knee. (Thank's OHIP)

I will be house bound for awhile (A long while) so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come and visit, I love visits. And save me from my bored self. I guess this will give me no excuses not to finish my math course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The good, the bad, the deported.

All You Need is Love - and Air Conditioning.

BALI BALI BALI . . . and stuff