Warning: The following post contains a rant about - Religion.

I am fortunate to live in a country where there are many diverse religions, this is nice for many reasons. One being I get so many random days off due to all the religious holidays recognized in Indonesia. Another being the experience of being immersed in a country of culture and diversity.
Surabaya is predominately muslim, there are temples across the city. While driving out of Surabaya we pass the biggest Mosque in south East asia - it is gorgeous.
I don't want you to start thinking that I am converting to Islam or Hinduism, but since living here I have developed a totally different outlook on different world religions.
Due to some recent historical events I feel that as a western culture we have a very tainted view of the people behind the religion.
How many of you after 911 were a little nervous flying with a person who was wearing a turban?
How many of you jump to fast conclusions when you see a woman wearing a Burqa?
I am not judging or pointing fingers, there is no way that I could justify that, because I am not perfect in my views either.
Every morning around 4am there is the call to prayer, and again around 6pm. Some days there are more than just two. At these designated times loudspeakers on each of the temples carry out this prayer sung by a man, at first I thought it was creepy and it gave me goosebumps, but now I think it is beautiful.
I have met many people and have had many interesting conversations about their beliefs, I don't judge them when they tell me they are muslim, and they don't judge me when they hear that I am a Christian.
As Christians - when is comes to publicly displaying our faith - I believe we fail. People here are so open about their faith regardless of who they worship, I can see this evidence everywhere I go. But then I asked myself - how many of the people who see me walking around - know that I am a Christian - how many people when they hear me speak - think - "obviously" that girl loves Jesus? In the last couple weeks it has really put me into check. As Christians we don't need to wear special articles of clothing or a badge declaring who we follow, but I believe through our actions, through our words, through our endless love that Jesus has shown to us - it should be just as evident.

In my last post I was all "love, love love." And don't get me wrong I still love it here but this week has been a tad bit frustrating. I was sick on Monday and Tuesday with a horrible flu, thankfully I am all good now. And the rest of the week has just dripped in stress. My AC has broken for the third time this month, so last night was not a restful sleep, and today was just one piece of frustrating news after the other. So I have decided that tonight I am going to give into my emotions, I am going to feel all the stress, frustration, depression, homesickness, insecurity and anger . . . I am going to cry, scream, and argue with myself. But then tomorrow, I am letting it go. Tomorrow is a new day, tomorrow is a clean slate - a chance to begin again. A chance to Carpe Diem - Seize The Day

Love from Indo
Kim

This is me in my awesome new pashmina - that I love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The good, the bad, the deported.

All You Need is Love - and Air Conditioning.

BALI BALI BALI . . . and stuff