All You Need is Love - and Air Conditioning.

I am currently reading the book "Eat, Pray, Love" and I am finding myself relating to the author on SO many levels. If you have never read it I strongly encourage you to it is a good read, and there is a movie coming out starring Julia Roberts . . . Anyways, it is about a woman who decides to take a year of her life and make it her own and travel - something she loves. There is a part in the book that I feel is straight from my experience here so far. She is talking about when she was in China parents would bring their terrified children up to her to shake her hand, which upon happening the children would burst into tears. I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me since moving here, they see a buliea (Indonesian for foreigner) and bring their poor chid up to this towering blonde giant and make them shake my hand.
Considering the size of Surabaya (it is the second largest city in Indonesia) there are not very many foreigners here. When I first came here it really irritated me that I was stared at everywhere I went, now I am used to it and generally I will just wave or make some stupid face. It's actually funny because when I see a foreigner in the mall now I catch myself staring. You know how bus drivers when they pass eachother on the road they wave. I always thought it was hilarioius when I was a kid. Well that's what it is like here when you see abnother foreigner, you wave or give eachother this knowing look. A look that says "I so wish we could sit and have coffee and talk because I know you know English."

In my last post I mentioned how I am living in the moment and taking everything as an experience. I am truly happy here, down to my toes, smile till my brain hurts, laugh till I cry - happy. I love the fact that our driver (who does not know English) made my roommate and I a CD of music that we always sing to when the radio plays an English song, I love that humour can be interpreted no matter what language you speak, I love that the people I work with are some of the most genuine people I have ever met, I love that people will come up to you just to say hi - even if you don't know them, they just want to talk and get to know who you (this blonde hair giant) are, I love that I see people who have nothing - smile - all the time.

I know in past posts I have talked about frustrations - but really - in the grand scheme of things they are insignificant and I just came to the realization that if I get stressed out I will not enjoy this experience and I will just pass through the "little moments" without noticing or realizing how significant those "little moments" are. I am a person who is quick to focus on the negative, I think being here has really changed that or I am maturing (is this possible?!) I am learning to see the positive in everything, see the best in everyone and just soak it all in. I don't think I realized (until recently) how fortunate I am to be having this opportunity. I am thankful that I have a family who is supportive of me being half way across the world, I am thankful that I have friends who will still be home and still be my friends when I come back, I am thankful that I am healthy and that I am able to do this. I am thankful that I have an outgoing personality and that no matter where I go I will not be alone. I am thankful that love is universal.

I know most of you are rolling your eyes at this point at my sappiness - but this is my blog so I can write what I want :)

Love you all

Love from Indo
- Kim








Comments

E Vyn said…
Kim, Glad to hear that you are doing so well - not sappy at all! Read the book quite a while back and loved it! Happy to see the awareness that you have! Talk to you soon - Elaine
Unknown said…
Wow Kim! You have such a great attitude about everything! And that will definitely make your experience that much better! Hope you continue to have an amazing time and know that you have a ton of people back in Canada that are thinking about you!
kimvoortman said…
Thanks guys!!! Karen I look forward to reading your blog, also I think your short hair is adorable!!

Popular posts from this blog

The good, the bad, the deported.

BALI BALI BALI . . . and stuff