I now know how Goliath felt...

Well I am here! After a year of planning and many let downs I have arrived. My flight(s) went smoothly. I flew out of Buffalo at 2:15pm and arrived in New York at around 4:00 I had a five hour layover that went pretty fast, I walked around JFK for a bit soaking my last little bit of Western culture for awhile. From JFK I flew to Germany which took around 8 hours, I slept the most this leg of the trip as I had a whole row to myself, so I popped a couple gravel and pretty much passed out till we landed. From Germany I flew to Singapore I wasn't as fortunate this time and had to sit beside someone I slept on and off watched 100 movies and ate crappy airplane food. After 11 hours in the air I made it to Singapore. Singapore airport is amazing its like its own world there are swimming pools, spa's, massages etc... I only had a 50 minute layover so I didn't get to see much of the airport. From Singapore I had a 2hour flight to Indonesia. I finally arrived in Indonesia at 9:00am on Friday the 5th. I made it through customs with no problems.

David and Ani (my bosses) as well as my friend Ellie where there to greet me at the airport, it was helpful to see a familiar face. From there they took me to see the two schools where I would be teaching and then to my house.

First thing I did when I got here was eat then I had a shower then I slept for a few hours I was pretty exhausted. My other roommate Kelsee woke me up I am sure I made a GREAT first impression. I went with her to one of the many malls here in Surabaya. The malls here are CRAZY they are at least 5 stories high just MASSIVE.

My first dinner here was at a restaurant in the mall called American Grill ( I am really branching out my cuisine haha). While I was standing at the buffet I felt something run over my foot and when I looked down it was a HUGE rat, I stayed pretty calm (I think that was due to exhaustion) but it was gross.

This afternoon we had a lunch and I met all of the EFEX staff who I will be working with, everyone is super nice and I am excited to start teaching.

As far as traffic and driving goes; Indonesians are CRAZY most people own scooters and just zip in-between cars and the poeple who do own cars just drive wherever they don't use the lines on the road as guides they just drive wherever its a little overwhelming.

Jet Lag hasn't really affected me I believe working night shifts has made that transition a little easier its 6pm now and I am pretty tired but I didn't nap today my goal is to stay up till 7 tonight.

I have SO much more to tell you but I am super tired and need to sleep!


Comments

blogoverdue said…
I just noticed your blog on facebook and I am so happy to see it! Many of my questions are being answered! and i can almost hear you telling me the story, punctuated by your laugh! I am so glad that i found this! i will def be reading so please keep writing! luv ya babes! oxoxxo
kimvoortman said…
Anna - I just saw your comment! I am glad that you are reading my blog, I am going to try and keep it updated as much as possible!
Love you too!

Popular posts from this blog

The good, the bad, the deported.

All You Need is Love - and Air Conditioning.

BALI BALI BALI . . . and stuff